Many thanks for your comments. It's reassuring to hear that she may be able to keep the existing mortgage after all.

The house is modest and without any spare rooms etc and it's the only home the kids have ever known. I would have hoped a judge would want to keep them there too for some continuity.

Will try to find a local law firm and pull together as much information as possible in advance of setting up an initial consultation.

Hello,

I placed a charge on the family home where I reside with my children. The youngest is 14yrs and the others are in full time education aswell. Can my ex remortgage the property without my knowledge?

Hello,

I placed a charge on the family home where I reside with my children. The youngest is 14yrs and the others are in full time education aswell. Can my ex remortgage the property without my knowledge?
Originally posted by Rose Carter

Not legally. Its not unknown for signatures to be forged though. Such a deal wouldnt be valid of course, it would be fraud against the lender, but could certainly lead to an expensive legal mess.

What can help in such circumstances, or I should say, before such circumstances, is to sign up to the land registry free alert service. They send you an email if there is any activity against a property you designate.

You can also look on the LR now and see what is registered against it.

Ps next time please do start your own thread rather than gatecrash another's.