Unfortunately life doesn't entitle you to a mortgage simply because you want one. Times have changed since your mum got a mortgage, lenders are much more cautious about lending and income, it isn't just free money because you want a house.

The best thing you can do is to do a bit more research. Google and this site have plenty of information available to you about how to find a mortgage and what is required of you.

I'm not quite sure what you actually want from this post? Perhaps if you are a bit more specific in your questioning then we could help.

ETA unfortunately I have no idea how part exchange works. I really think you need to do a bit more research about all of this, if your grandmother is intending to gift you her house that could lead to all sorts of problems for her in the future (see deprivation of capital/care home fees etc)

30 year term, £26k income, 2 applicants + 2 kids. The halifax website says £78k.

Has your mum had her mortgage for more than 2-3 years? Affordability was assessed differently in the past.