Does Royal Mail postal redirection leave a footprint? Hanger_boy89

I'm changing address at the moment and went to do the Royal Mail redirection. However, on the last page it started asking me questions like "You opened ____ account last year, who was it with? and When did you last take out a mobile phone contract?"

I cancelled the application and it said it had been unsuccessful as it had failed to verify my identity after cancelling the application. Why would it have access to my credit history for a simple redirection, and would it leave a footprint on my credit file??

Why would it have access to my credit history for a simple redirection,
Originally posted by Hanger_boy89

To verify who you are. Questions have to be asked that only you would know the answer to. Otherwise anyone could easily hijack your mail.

It leaves an ID Check on CallCredit (appears in the others searches on Noddle).

I can't imagine that any lenders would be overly worried about this though - it must surely be a normal thing to appear in the run up to a house purchase (certainly didn't affect mines last year).

I have one of these on my credit file but not from Royal Mail. It just says "identity check", the date, who the company was, my name and dob. No other information is listed.