Hi

AFAIK you effectively start a new employment contract, so all your history and benefits etc may be lost.

You old 5 day post is terminated and your pension benefits are released in full.

Your new 3 day contract starts and you are a fresh employee, and can join a pension scheme for the relatively short time you are still there.

Perhaps the employment contract may just be varied to a shorter working week, but it may not. Things like long service awards, extra leave entitlement, sick pay etc are lost and gone for ever.

However you work 3 days a week, have a large lump sum in the bank and get paid a pension. The tax and NI will probably be lower on earnings etc so that you have time and money for a better life.

IT DOES need careful thought and a negotiation with the employer, but can be beneficial.

the guys here in a similar position a couple of years ago did it, are still here on 3-day weeks, and loving it...plus as one of them said, I can go fully any time I like

Will I loose out on my final retirement amount if I work over 3 years before finally retiring?
Originally posted by Dixy

No, because you have already taken your accrued pension and it will be based on your accrued service & salary at that point.

Am I able to leave the lump sum until final retirement?

Thanks in advance.
Originally posted by Dixy

No, you have to retire and take all your pension benefits when you (partially) retire. I think, but am not sure, that you will accrue "new pension" for the years you subsequently work part time under the current scheme