In a serious international crisis what would the new currency end up being?
Originally posted by Dan03

You mean a serious crisis like the Oil crisis, Black Monday, Black Wednesday, the Asian financial crisis, the bursting of the dot-com bubble, the Global financial crisis or the European sovereign debt crisis?

The City of London Investment Trust has managed to increase its dividend every single year for 50 years and steered a course through all of the above none of which brought about a new currency

But if I have to answer the question I would go for Groats just to keep Sturgeon quiet because she gets on my wick

Anyway.... that aside... If for any reason our financial system collaplsed, why would that not make bitcoin the only major currency to survive as it is running on a completely different system? As I said, when Brexit put doubt on the pound and the euro it almost doubled in value, so what would happen if something more serious happened?
Originally posted by Dan03

I think you're being extremely naive to think that a currency only accessible and produced online would be of any use in a financial meltdown. Maybe gold would but essentially only items that are of immediate use would have any real value if systems entirely broke down.

The City of London Investment Trust has managed to increase its dividend every single year for 50 years and steered a course through all of the above none of which brought about a new currency
Originally posted by ColdIron

That's not strictly true. With a 50 year heritage it's also been through a new currency too if you can count decimalisation as being new.

That's not strictly true. With a 50 year heritage it's also been through a new currency too if you can count decimalisation as being new.
Originally posted by jimjames

But I don't think decimalisation was brought about by a crisis, much like the Euro, though it seems to be causing one or two of them

bitcoins would be just as worthless as FIAT currency.

Gold might be worth holding, but you cannot eat gold. In the war black marketeers would make a fortune selling food, but they knew the war would end eventually...if it were a reallly bad disaster along nuclear lines, forget it, nothing would be worth anything other than the immediate necessities, which is why brute force would be a good skill to have, and maybe weapons and medicines, anti-biotics and fuel/energy supply generator..