Looking back at some of the previous threads in which you've participated where the merits of these sort of things have been discussed:

"Is a Vanguard Lifestrategy investment all you need"

"100% Equity vs Equity/Bond"

"180K Investment"

This sort of thing has been discussed before and I'm not sure I can be bothered reiterating each point I've previously made.

Your three choices VWRL/ VLS100/ VLS80 are basically

1) "exclusively equities, with 93% of the investment in companies listed overseas"

2) "exclusively equities, with 75% of the investment in companies listed overseas"

3) "not exclusively equities, with 75% of the equity investment in companies listed overseas"

I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with the last of these 3 options for a high growth pension plan for a 40-year old.

The first one implies a very high conviction towards the performance of the world outside the country in which you live and will be retiring.

The second one has better 'home bias' imho - though its greater UK bias is driven by a UK index which is stuffed with international companies with massive overseas revenues that happen to be listed in the UK; that's not the same as investing in companies which are purely UK-facing, so it is still a pretty 'global' looking fund and if you want a lot of international exposure you would probably not be disappointed with what it gives.

The third one will have a lower volatility than the second one as it is not gambling everything on equities always being top dog. This will sacrifice some long term performance, but is not a terrible thing to do. After all, if you really wanted a little extra long term performance and didn't care about wild swings you probably wouldn't just be using global largecap companies mostly in the developed world, you would look at smaller companies and greater allocation to emerging markets and so on. As you are not doing that with these funds, in this search for a simple life and a one-product solution, it stands to reason that absolute highest possible performance is not your only concern. So a fund that is only 80% equities is fine.

Personally if you were going for option 3 (80% equities, 20% non-equities) I would be inclined to go for something like L&G Multi Index 7 which will usually be between 70-100% equities and includes property within the non-equities bit.
Originally posted by bowlhead99

Thank you very much for that, BH. Much appreciated. The VLS80 was indeed my preferred option. But I will also now check out the L&G option for the SIPP. I think having my SIPP and ISA split up in two funds might actually be better anyway for added diversity sake.

Thanks very much

Invested it in VLS80 in the end. I did want to invest it in L&G Multi Index 7 just for a bit of diversity, but it turns out that Halifax don't do that product.

Must say that I really like Halifax's new website. Really nice summary page showing all my accounts. Great site to use for anyone who does not do a lot of trading.

They don't, but if Vanguard offered a VLS120, VLS150 or VLS200 would you go for one of those? VLS150 would work like this. You invest a pound, they borrow 50p, and buy you £1.50 of shares.

They don't, but if Vanguard offered a VLS120, VLS150 or VLS200 would you go for one of those? VLS150 would work like this. You invest a pound, they borrow 50p, and buy you £1.50 of shares.
Originally posted by Ray Singh-Blue

Not sure it would work that, old chap, because VLS is a fettered fund of funds. My money (whether 80% of it, or 150% of it) is not invested in shares.... it's invested in a fund of funds.

A fund would give you actively managed without you having to do anything as it's all done by the fund manager?

Consider a global income fund like Artemis Global Equity Income or M&G's equivalent.

M&G's has beaten V100 over 1 3 & 5 years & YTD. If that continues for your 20+year span the diff could be massive...

Just saying you could consider.. DYOR.

Invested it in VLS80 in the end. I did want to invest it in L&G Multi Index 7 just for a bit of diversity, but it turns out that Halifax don't do that product.

Must say that I really like Halifax's new website. Really nice summary page showing all my accounts. Great site to use for anyone who does not do a lot of trading.
Originally posted by jdw2000

I think they've missed a few issues: On the summary page it fails to show pending orders - so it just looks like (say yesterdays £10k fund order) £10k has just disappeared out of your account.

And it isn't showing in the dealing history until it's placed.

And when it eventually appears in 'pending orders' it continues to show active status even 24 hours after it's been placed.

Further, there is no time stamp on your order visible to you, and you don't get an email/secure message saying you placed a fund order... so I say I placed it at 12.45am, they say the dealing desk says 12.45 pm & missed the cut off - £165 loss (missed gain) to me the other day... and potential gain for them if I'm cynical.

You like it? I say it hasn't cured much of its previous shortcomings; I agree it improved summary page, but that is still relatively poor IMO.

That's what I've found on the placement of only one fund order; TBF no issues with share dealing.. yet.

And they are competitive.

And when you finally find 'pending orders' it continues to show active status even 24 hours after it's been placed.
Originally posted by soulsaver

For some fund managers, but not all. I've found that trades on HSBC funds move from 'active' to 'executed' overnight. Vanguard seems to take a day longer, for some reason. Maybe just a less responsive fund manager. When it does move to 'executed', though, you get the correct fund price -- that is, what it would have been had Halifax got the acknowledgement from the fund manager in the same timescale as they do with HSBC.

Further there is no time stamp on your order visible to you, ...

There is. Follow the Dealing -> Pending deals links, then click on one of the order ref codes. Under here you'll find the full details for that order: reference, date, time, buy/sell, amount, and stock.

There is. Follow the Dealing -> Pending deals links, then click on one of the order ref codes. Under here you'll find the full details for that order: reference, date, time, buy/sell, amount, and stock.
Originally posted by EdSwippet

That's not what I mean by time stamped - i.e at the time I place the instruction - not something internally generated which could be 1 -48 hours later when you (I) see it; it has to happen in next to real time.

I want to know they've got the instruction and are working on it; and them to know I know they've got the order and the clocks ticking.

I was expecting to get an email acknowledgement which evidenced the time I issued the instruction - I didn't...because ref their CS, they don't send one for funds.

As it is IIRC I didn't get (pointed at) anything at all until at least 48 hours later when wondering what happened to my £10K and phoned to track it down.

I've got other funds to buy, so I'll document this so to be sure of my facts and come back with an update.

That's not what I mean by time stamped - i.e at the time I place the instruction - not something internally generated which could be 1 -48 hours later when you (I) see it...

As it happens, I placed an order in iWeb today, just before leaving for a gym class. Looking at it right now in my iWeb account, I see the exact date and time at which I placed it:

Order Details

MR XX XXXXXX, Share Dealing Account (CMA)

Order Reference: R062XXXXX

Order Date: 03/03/2017

Order Time: 08:53

Buy/Sell: Sell

Quantity: XXXX

Stock: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This order has not yet been executed.

Surely that is a 'time stamp'? If not, then I don't know what else you expect here.

I think they've missed a few issues: On the summary page it fails to show pending orders - so it just looks like (say yesterdays £10k fund order) £10k has just disappeared out of your account.

And it isn't showing in the dealing history until it's placed.

And when it eventually appears in 'pending orders' it continues to show active status even 24 hours after it's been placed.

Further, there is no time stamp on your order visible to you, and you don't get an email/secure message saying you placed a fund order... so I say I placed it at 12.45am, they say the dealing desk says 12.45 pm & missed the cut off - £165 loss (missed gain) to me the other day... and potential gain for them if I'm cynical.

You like it? I say it hasn't cured much of its previous shortcomings; I agree it improved summary page, but that is still relatively poor IMO.

That's what I've found on the placement of only one fund order; TBF no issues with share dealing.. yet.

And they are competitive.

How many times are you going to be doing all that though?

My usage is simply to invest in funds and then leave it alone. Log in every now and then and see how much is in there.

It's the cheapest site for me for all of my ISA, SIPP and Trading account in one place, and it has a nice enough summary page showing all my accounts.

Each to their own, but for someone like me who is a passive investor and doesn't trade, it's great.