Are you happy with locking in that £1000 for 5 years for 5% ? As if you chose shorter options you will get just about 3% in the best case scenario and for that return you may as well use "high" interest current accounts and regular savings accounts without risk of losing your capital. If you opened a couple og regular saving accounts you could have got 5% on that £1000 and more risk free again.

Are you happy with locking in that £1000 for 5 years for 5% ? As if you chose shorter options you will get just about 3% in the best case scenario and for that return you may as well use "high" interest current accounts and regular savings accounts without risk of losing your capital. If you opened a couple og regular saving accounts you could have got 5% on that £1000 and more risk free again.
Originally posted by justme111

Ratesetter have a £100 Sign Up bonus at the moment so the 3% on £1,000 becomes 13% for 1 year

Ratesetter have a £100 Sign Up bonus at the moment so the 3% on £1,000 becomes 13% for 1 year
Originally posted by MyOnlyPost

That's why I am tempted. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has or is using Ratesetter.

I already have high interest current accounts and regular savers.

I didn't see anything about locking it away for 5 years? What am I missing?
Originally posted by Carolinemjs

There are 3 markets with different yields, the longest being the highest paying.

I have just joined Ratesetter and deposited £1,000 for which I got 3.8% over 1 year, but it varies daily.

With the extra £100 bonus it becomes a no-brainer for 1 year at least, but remember your capital is at risk with P2P

That's why I am tempted. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has or is using Ratesetter.

I used to use Ratesetter until the rates reduced to a level where I wasn't adequately compensated for risk. I also discovered better options (see http://p2pindependentforum.com/ for discussion of alternatives - you could use this poll as a guide to the options to look at first). The bonus offer at RS is worth taking though.

The site is like a money market. Lenders offer funds and can set their desired rate, borrowers can request funds and ask for their desired rate. This forms a money queue and the price fluctuates on supply and demand. Sometimes the rate spikes if you can catch it, other times it is a race to the bottom with lenders undercutting each other.

Anything over 3.4% in the 1 year market take it and just leave the money there for 1 year to collect your £100