Savings Query linuxpenguins

Hi

Come end of May I aim to have £2.5k in Flex Direct 5%

I will then put £500 each month on 25th into Flexclusive Regular Saver (again, at 5%)

However, I will have £57 remaining. Do I;

A) put this with the £150 monthly spends account

B) save this elsewhere - if so, where

C) put towards my existing £275 mortgage overpayment to make it £332 a month (rate is 2.09%)

Thanks

Why not start putting the £500 each month into Flexclusive Regular Saver in April, or even March, then you can put the extra £57 into the Flex Direct?

And the 25th? the earlier in the month you pay in, the more interest it makes - not a lot, but some.

At the moment I only have £900 in my Flex Direct. Come May, I should have c£2.5k in there.

I get paid on 25th.. so would I be best setting the standing order to go in 1st each month? As opposed to 25th each month?

The extra £57 won't make any interest once I hit 2.5k in the Flex Direct account as far as I know. The max is 2.5k

The extra £57 won't make any interest once I hit 2.5k in the Flex Direct account as far as I know. The max is 2.5k
Originally posted by linuxpenguins

That's why I suggested you don't fill it - start paying £500 into the Flexclusive RS earlier - you still get 5% on all the money, and leave space to add more into the Flex Direct.

At the moment I only have £900 in my Flex Direct. Come May, I should have c£2.5k in there.

That's not a reason to not start saving in the Regular Saver immediately. In general it's better to have your money in a regular saver, where you are limited in how much you can add each month, than in a current account at the same rate, where you can add any amount up to the limit should you have a windfall.

I get paid on 25th.. so would I be best setting the standing order to go in 1st each month? As opposed to 25th each month?

There are arguments for either. What would the £500 be earning over the last 3-6 days of the month?

My thought process was:

Flex Direct only has 5pc for 12 months starting from point Account was open - so I wanted to get that maxed and then open the regular saver so I had 12 months from point opening that too?

Flawed logic? Confused ha

It's a valid point, but what would you do with the monthly £10 interest and this surplus £57? What will you do with the money after a year? Why didn't you wait until you had £2500 before opening the FlexDirect, thereby maximising the interest?

There's no 'right' answers, just things to consider.

have a look at other threads where Nationwide accounts are discussed, and at this thread and this one on regular savers for ideas on where to put more money

Another thing to consider is that the Flexclusive Regular Saver could be withdrawn at any time (for new customers). With 5% on offer I wouldn't risk waiting.