Paid for a friend. Do they owe me? Paperwings

A friend and I went on holiday and I decided to book some expensive activities for us to do there (£3000). At first I had said that the holiday activities would be my treat but our relationship broke down shortly after and I decided that I wanted the money back for the activities. My friend said they would pay me back but I think they were just trying to fix the fallout. Do I have any legal standing when it comes to getting this money back or not, as I had offered it as a gift before changing my mind?

A friend and I went on holiday and I decided to book some expensive activities for us to do there (£3000). At first I had said that the holiday activities would be my treat but our relationship broke down shortly after and I decided that I wanted the money back for the activities. My friend said they would pay me back but I think they were just trying to fix the fallout. Do I have any legal standing when it comes to getting this money back or not, as I had offered it as a gift before changing my mind?
Originally posted by Paperwings

Legally no, morally no/yes depending on the other person.

I do not think you should put effort into claiming this off them apart from a quick text or phone call, if you get something back then happy days.

.... I decided to book some expensive activities ... (£3000). ....I had said that the holiday activities would be my treat .... I decided that I wanted the money back for the activities.

Do I have any legal standing when it comes to getting this money back or not, as I had offered it as a gift before changing my mind?

Not really. You decided, you paid, your treat.

You can't take gifts back in hissy fits.

They've said they'll pay you back, which would be nice of them, but £3k is a FORTUNE....

So, let it drop really.

You've nothing in writing. It was your idea, you offered.... you changed your mind and that's now tough.

If it's OK I'll write out my Amazon wishlist of gifts you might like to buy me for giving my opinion you sound very well off and I'd like to help you with that.

Do I have any legal standing when it comes to getting this money back or not, as I had offered it as a gift before changing my mind?

If you said "I shall pay for this as a treat for us both, on condition that you remain my friend for a period of not less than 12 months after the enjoyment of said activities", then you could be in with a shout.

You're asking us to make a call on what a judge would rule - sorry but you need to take legal advice on that. It doesn't always work like it does on Judge Rinder I'm afraid

Suggest if you want to pursue this that you take some legal advice...

You can sue anyone, anywhere for anything. Now whether you will have any success besides burning more money is a whole other story. And I don't see this as being anything else than that - you gave a gift, you then feel hurt so you want to hurt the person back, hence why you are asking for the money - not because it's owed to you.

Let it go, move on, don't waste judge valuable time on this. If they want to pay you back, they still can. If not, well, it was a gift.

I send her a text message after we fell out and she said that she would pay. Is that not an implied contract?

Assuming this is not a wind up (because no one would be so petty in real life, would they?), you can't enter into a contract after the event.

Have you thought of counselling? That would be a better use of your money than issuing a pointless court claim.