Notification of defaulted loan help Neil Beck

Please accept my apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. I received a letter from Cabot financial recently stating that I owed an outstanding amount on a loan to Blackhorse. I took this loan in 2005 and defaulted in 2009. After struggling with various debt for some time, I managed to clear all my debt, and believed I had paid off the last outstanding amount last year. It stated in the letter that Direct Legal Collections had managed the debt but had sold it to Cabot in August last year. I had been paying DLC for another debt since 2007, and they never notified me of this debt, but state they had sent letters about it to an old address. This is a long winded post, but I have done some reading, and believe this debt may be statute barred. Is this correct?

Thank you for any help.

If you were paying last year, no, it's not statute barred.
Originally posted by zx81

Not entirely true - if you had a period of 6 years or more where you did not pay for this debt or acknowledge the debt in writing then it's statute barred.

If you believe it to fall in that category then send them the statute barred letter

You need to clarify if the payments you made previously included payments to this debt or were purely for the other debt they held for you. If they recently bought this debt then did you pay the previous creditor in that time period.

If you were paying last year, no, it's not statute barred.
Originally posted by zx81

They hadn't been told about this debt.

OP, yes it could be statute barred depending on the date of default and you haven't acknowledged this debt or paid anything towards it for 6 years.

The loan has not been paid or acknowledged by me since 2009.

Blackhorse sold the debt to DLC who made attempts to contact me at an old address, and this was whilst I was paying off a separate and totally unrelated debt to DLC.

DLC sold the Blackhorse debt to Cabot in August last year. I finished paying off the other debt to DLC last year. I thought that was my final debt to pay off.

I was unaware of this debt until Feb 2017.

Hope this clarifies

The loan has not been paid or acknowledged by me since 2009.

Blackhorse sold the debt to DLC who made attempts to contact me at an old address, and this was whilst I was paying off a separate and totally unrelated debt to DLC.

DLC sold the Blackhorse debt to Cabot in August last year. I finished paying off the other debt to DLC last year. I thought that was my final debt to pay off.

I was unaware of this debt until Feb 2017.

Hope this clarifies
Originally posted by Neil Beck

Based on this post its statute barred.

But this is worded differently to the first post.