I sent £10 off along with a letter quoting the Data Protection Act a few years ago and the Student Loans Company sent me a mass of paper and their sums didn't add up. I'm pretty sure they knew it too because they kept on asking why I didn't think I owed the quoted amount - this was much higher than what's being asked for since the debt was bought by Erudio. The figures don't tally at all! If we can't agree (out of Court [if I can keep it out of Court]) on what's owed by January 2018 and I don't make a payments in the meantime, would this mean that it's Statute Barred? It'd be 6 years.

As long as they fill in the claim before 6 years pass from last acknowledgment of debt, it will not get barred. Keep in mind that requesting all the details from the debt because you dispute the sum may have very well reset that timer.

If I send them anything at all, that resets the Statute Barred.

If I wait to see if they take me to Court, and they actually do... that kills the Age Barred.

If I gamble that they haven't actually traced me and wait for a Court letter... if it arrives I can probably get them to cancel the Court action by sending them a SAR and a CCA Request? They won't want to take me to Court with incorrect or disputed data and as you say, I could try to tie them in knots till I'm in my (increasingly) doddery and arthritic, aged future 50. Would that preserve the Age Barred?

That is not what I've said at all. Once they start court action your fidgeting doesn't matter as long as they started before 6 years has passed. Simply put its based on claim date, not when it ends.

Your best option is to contact them, ask for the documents, make sure that the amount claimed is valid (if it isn't dispute it) and then figure out a way to pay them. Be it a lump sum or some payment plan.

Trying to game the system is not going to work, and I don't know how SAR or CCA would cancel the claim. All they need in order to sue you is the last address you've provided them with and history of the account. If the amount is incorrect, you will have a chance to raise that after you get the claim paper or the hearing, and it will be settled then.

I haven't provided them with this address and I am not on the Electoral Roll as yet.

All education should be free. An educated population cannot be fooled by dictators and demagogues, book burners all. What's more, if the trend of increasing digitisation of books continues and they all rot with age eventually, history is a matter of delete/cut/copy/paste/rewrite to advantage the rulers. Free education is a human right - if they can print money to keep bankers afloat, they can print money to keep human minds free. It costs a heck of a lot less for a start and it helps more than the top 1%.

Once they have responded to the SAR and CCA Request within the 40 day period and if the amount of money they are asking for turns out to be correct, what do I do then? I do want to stall them till the SB period.

I haven't provided them with this address and I am not on the Electoral Roll as yet.

All education should be free. - but it's not and you agreed to that. An educated population cannot be fooled by dictators and demagogues, book burners all. What's more, if the trend of increasing digitisation of books continues and they all rot with age eventually, history is a matter of delete/cut/copy/paste/rewrite to advantage the rulers. - Oh for goodness sake, history - His Story, it's already written by the winners. Free education is a human right -yes and you got that when you went to school. - if they can print money to keep bankers afloat, they can print money to keep human minds free. It costs a heck of a lot less for a start and it helps more than the top 1%. - So because you're poor then you shouldn't pay?

Once they have responded to the SAR - they already have. and CCA Request within the 40 day period and if the amount of money they are asking for turns out to be correct, what do I do then? I do want to stall them till the SB period.
Originally posted by erikborgo

Here's a novel idea, you borrowed money to get something, got it, but don't want to pay it back. Doesn't that seem strange to you. You're a business owner, how would you feel?

Other than that - yes they can take you to court with you being on the electoral role, of course they cane.

and it sounds like they will, and you really don't have a defence. So consider the option of actually engaging with the SLC and paying it back.

(amounts are probably different given the added interest over the last 5 years.)