Yeah - that was something I was told yesterday as well. If that's happened then someone may be sitting with £300 in their account?

The sort code, I'm presuming, would be different though.

I just really, really wish I hadn't done it now, it's causing so much trouble.

Thanks for the advise about the proper written letter.

I'll get onto that today and see if that makes any difference.

This money HAS TO BE somewhere.
Originally posted by Hendrix_lennon

If the money has not gone into a live account, then it probably was bounced back to Wonga. In which case, they never made a loan.

The alternative is it's in a suspense account at your old bank, where they put money they receive but can't allocate correctly. They could easily get thousands of payments a day with incorrect account details, so sorting that out must be a nightmare!

Opening formal complaints with both wonga and the bank will put them under pressure to find out what happened. You don't have to write a letter to do that. Just follow their complaints procedures.

If the money has not gone into a live account, then it probably was bounced back to Wonga. In which case, they never made a loan.

The alternative is it's in a suspense account at your old bank, where they put money they receive but can't allocate correctly. They could easily get thousands of payments a day with incorrect account details, so sorting that out must be a nightmare!

Opening formal complaints with both wonga and the bank will put them under pressure to find out what happened. You don't have to write a letter to do that. Just follow their complaints procedures.
Originally posted by GDB2222

Really appreciate your help and time. I'm going to do that this afternoon. I'm getting nowhere with either of them. It just has to be somewhere. Either it left Wonga and bounced back (in which case it's with them) or left Wonga and is sitting somewhere in the bank (in which case the bank has it).

Really appreciate your help and time. I'm going to do that this afternoon. I'm getting nowhere with either of them. It just has to be somewhere. Either it left Wonga and bounced back (in which case it's with them) or left Wonga and is sitting somewhere in the bank (in which case the bank has it).

A brainwave!

Send £1 from your online banking to that old bank account number, and see what happens. Then you'll know whether the payment gets rejected or swallowed up. If it's rejected you can tell Wonga that's happened and ask them to prove it didn't happen to their payment too.

Also, when you say you closed the old account, are you quite sure it was fully closed? Or is your account still sitting there, now with £300 in it?

At the very least, the bank can check whether there's money in that account.

Also, when you say you closed the old account, are you quite sure it was fully closed? Or is your account still sitting there, now with £300 in it?

At the very least, the bank can check whether there's money in that account.

Yeah I went down to the bank and they provided me with the paper work to confirm it was closed in April 2013. I've been down a few times since as well and they can't find any trace of the money.

Great idea about sending £1 though. I'm going to try that.

Great idea about sending £1 though. I'm going to try that.

Yes, this is a good idea. It doesn't need to be £1 though - 1 penny will do the trick. This is something I always do when setting up a new payee on my account - make a 1p payment first just to check everything goes to where it should.

Yes, this is a good idea. It doesn't need to be £1 though - 1 penny will do the trick. This is something I always do when setting up a new payee on my account - make a 1p payment first just to check everything goes to where it should.
Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge

I wondered whether I was being profligate.

You don't have to write a letter to do that. Just follow their complaints procedures.

Agreed you don't have to use paper but a letter with proof of postage cannot (legally) disappear into a black hole (along with op's money)

thnk you sooo much
Originally posted by hafo

!!!! ... ooh, more than 10 characters. OK, Muppet, spammer, waste of skin ... there, is that enough ? Why is this poster PPR'd, rather than just deleted permanently ? ( check his/her other posts )