Any bank staff here that can tell me please if a bank manager of one bank, can certify a passport for a member of the public (for ID purposes) who banks with another bank ? ( accept probable charge) Daughter banks with Nationwide but since moving is unable to get to any NW branch with any ease , but has another bank quite close. Likewise anyone know if a Postmaster of a sub PO can do it? Some companies will accept a ministers signature which would be far more convenient, but no, not Scottish Widows !
Originally posted by ANGLICANPAT

Sounds like you need a notary. Many solicitors provide a notary service. Basically, she turns up with a couple of utility bills and a passport and the notary takes photocopies, stamps and signs them, charges about 50 quid and you have your notarized copies to pop in the post.

Scottish Widows documents can be endorsed by Lloyds, or LBG staff, but they cant return to documents to you, they will have to send them onwards to the department requiring the endorsements.

Some banks will only endorse documents for their own products, eq mortgages or credit card applications when the documents are scanned and sent electronically to the relevant departments.

Sounds like you may need a solicitor endorsement like POA documents, as its a trust account you are opening, again I maybe wrong as I don't work in that department or deal with POA applications/registrations.

What does the document say?

Westie983

jimjames No Lloys near. Estate agents are near , so yes thats a possibility I hadnt thought of thanks. Worth asking. SW havent specified what sort of FA.

jenny- yes nearest notary may be the answer as last resort thanks.

Westie - post 4 . As specified by SW

You can get your GP to do it, but they (nearly?) always charge..
Originally posted by soulsaver

Doctors are not allowed to sign unless they know you personally, e.g. as a friend.

If you read the passport application does it not it state that the person certifying has to have known the applicant personally for 12 months?
Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever

2 years, not 12 months.

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories

Any bank will do it but only, normally, if you have an account with them, and then it's free.

Who do you bank with? It doesn't necessarily have to be your daughter that takes it in, all they are doing is certifying it's a 'true copy of the original' on behalf of a bank customer.

But Lloyds would certainly be the best bet, as it's for SW.

Normally, as you say you don't mind a small fee, I'd suggest a local solicitor's office, they'd do it for only a fiver or so. It's a little bizarre for SW to be so specific and then to mention FA's, as I believe only IFAs need to be registered, an 'FA' could be anybody. But 'FA' on the SW website leads to the website for IFAs. I don't imagine FAs in estate agents' offices are independent.

I'd be inclined to ask SW if they'd accept a solicitor, it's really illogical not to.

jimjames No Lloys near. Estate agents are near , so yes thats a possibility I hadnt thought of thanks. Worth asking. SW havent specified what sort of FA.

jenny- yes nearest notary may be the answer as last resort thanks.

Westie - post 4 . As specified by SW
Originally posted by ANGLICANPAT

Where do you live that has no branch of Lloyds Bank, Halifax or Bank of Scotland nearby?

Time taken (about 50mins round trip allowing for inevitable traffic) wouldnt be a problem for me, but its for person not capable of travelling far unless totally necessary- hence looking for best option first. Wont be precise about why or where, but SE London believe it or not.