Apple Pay, which shops can you use it for more than £30? Frozen_up_north

I've started using Apple Pay and find there are many places that don't take contactless (Tesco for example) and those that do, only seem to offer the same spending limit as ordinary contactless.

I understand updated software is needed at the store in order to accept payments over £30 on Apple Pay... Other than Apple Stores, are there any others that have moved into the 21st century?

Thanks

Only bricks & mortars one I know of that accepts more than £30 is Marks & Spencers. And not even they do it everywhere - I was in one of their motorway outlets today, and whilst they did accept ApplePay, the limit there was £30.

It's been months now since retailers could have accepted up to the card limit on ApplePay. Why have literally none of them done so? Would love to know.

Only bricks & mortars one I know of that accepts more than £30 is Marks & Spencers. And not even they do it everywhere - I was in one of their motorway outlets today, and whilst they did accept ApplePay, the limit there was £30.

It's been months now since retailers could have accepted up to the card limit on ApplePay. Why have literally none of them done so? Would love to know.
Originally posted by colsten

It's probably an issue with their systems being able to accept it. That issue being that they can't be arsed updating them for one payment system that probably isn't used much anyway. A chicken and egg scenario.

Almost all Worldpay and global payment terminals used by small business support unlimited transactions. Frankie and Benneys, Nandos, TGI Fridays and giraffe support unlimited. Pret do as well (I know really useful). Louie Vuitton and Burberry do as do some Fortnum and Mason till points. British Airways do on board on some terminals as well (all of th contactless ones), which was a surprise (One of the US airlines do as well).

From a foreign perspective all Canadian terminals support unlimited with a signature on Amex or PIN on the terminal with Visa or MasterCard (and Canadian Debit Interac). From a family member it seems to be the same in Australia and Singapore.

The card networks really need some kind of symbol to show a terminal supports high value payments.

Yesterday we went to Morrisons, I asked their supervisors if they accepted Apple Pay, and if so was it limited to £30... They didn't know and the card reader had a £20 limit sign on it.

Needless to say, attempting to pay by Apple Pay on a bill of £38 didn't work. Maybe in another 5 years?

This website lists various outlets but I'm not convinced it's accurate. My local Waitrose doesn't accept contactless above £30, for example. http://contactless.life/retailers/

Next time you get a receipt for an Apple Pay transaction regardless of the amount check for "verified by consumer device" or similar as that means they are set up to take unlimited contactless payments (CDCVM). "No cardholder verification" means they are not, in my experience.

It's always going to take longer for bigger companies to raise the limit as there is more work involved, and it's probably not a high priority for most. The good thing is that anywhere that doesn't accept contactless now (eg. Argos) should have the latest software supporting CDCVM when they do finally upgrade their terminals.

That's not always the case though. A properly configured device shouldn't use the on device verification method unless it's above £30.

Some terminals also don't print the on device verification on the receipt and just say no verification required.