If you don't mind me saying so, you have no dependants, a good income, and are only 'middle aged'. What the hell are you worrying about here? Get out there and enjoy yourself.

So my situation is the above, the things I am sorting out are a Will, power of attorney and private health insurance, I have several sources of income so retirement should not be uncomfortable, my question is are there any other bases I should be covering?
Originally posted by Mark300zx

If you don't mind me saying so, you have no dependants, a good income, and are only 'middle aged'. What the hell are you worrying about here? Get out there and enjoy yourself.
Originally posted by Shakin Steve

The three things that Mark has done seem very sensible. With luck, none of them will be needed for many years to come (maybe never) but not everyone's life runs smoothly.

I'd rather chose in advance who would be making decisions about me if I became incapable rather than risk someone I didn't trust/like applying to be my attorney.

To be honest Steve, I work in the emergency services and regularly come across people of my age who are not in a good position, so while I heed your advice I recognise it is prudent to sort your life out

To be honest Steve, I work in the emergency services and regularly come across people of my age who are not in a good position, so while I heed your advice I recognise it is prudent to sort your life out
Originally posted by Mark300zx

Yes, ok, Mark. I suppose what you are doing is right. I wish I had your problems.

I’m in the same position as the OP, albeit older. I have all those things in place; it’s sensible planning to do it as one never knows what is round the corner– and then put them all in the background and get on with your life. The only other thing I might suggest (depending on any religious beliefs you might have) is an advance medical directive (‘living will’). You can build those instructions into your LPA for health and welfare as well. I think the power of attorney overrules the living will (I had mine in place before I had the LPA) but I stand to be corrected on that.

I would definitely say to order your funeral. If you have no family it is one way of ensuring you get the funeral you want and if it is fully paid for with all decisions made then it is unlikely anyone would change it. Also (said a little tongue in cheek) if you spend all your remaining cash on a care home you won't need a paupers funeral. When my mother went into one they asked if she had any arrangements made & if so who with & they contacted them direct for us initially.

As for POA & living will - as the living will tends to be much more specific I would think it could be used as a back up to say look this what this person really wants. You can also draw it up yourself and all you need is a witness.

I agree pay for your funeral. Make sure you pay it at todays rates not just a lump sum payment. They are two similar but different things. If you have no dependents you don't need a will. Of course if you have siblings or niblings who you wish to inherit you may wish to sort this. If you can afford it take out critical illness insurance as it can be harder to get a job as we get older.