I got a letter from HMRC to say I paid too much tax - a large square box indicated - If you claim online you could receive your refund within 3 to 5 days. Go to www.gov.uk/p800 refund

I just filled my Bank details in online via my Personal Tax Account - job done and my overpayment was sent to my Bank via FP within 4 working days, no cheque in the post.

Unfortunately these stupid Payable Orders sent to banks aren't optional, they are the only way to get your money in certain PAYE refund circumstances. I was told by HMRC I could get the money transferred to my account in the same way you describe online, but once the letter finally arrived 12 days later it said they would send a payable order. Having challenged this, I was told it's the only option. 3 weeks after they were supposed to have sent the payable order I'm still being bounced between pillar and post. Every person I speak to at Santander thinks I'm mad and has never heard of this process.

So angry

Unfortunately these stupid Payable Orders sent to banks aren't optional, they are the only way to get your money in certain PAYE refund circumstances. I was told by HMRC I could get the money transferred to my account in the same way you describe online, but once the letter finally arrived 12 days later it said they would send a payable order. Having challenged this, I was told it's the only option. 3 weeks after they were supposed to have sent the payable order I'm still being bounced between pillar and post. Every person I speak to at Santander thinks I'm mad and has never heard of this process.

So angry
Originally posted by beckyblondon

You can ask HMRC to send you the payable order. It's just like a cheque, which you can pay in at the bank yourself.

Thanks glider3560, that would have been my preference as a faster payments transfer wasn't available, but apparently they will only consider it three weeks after having sent the original payable order to my bank. Tomorrow is 3 weeks and I will be insisting on either a transfer or cheque direct, immediately. Very frustrating, such a stupid process...

Payable orders aren't sent to banks? They should be sent to you, and you pay it in like a cheque. (Payable orders go through the same cheque processing process - the main distinction is that they are drawn/debit the government rather than a bank)

When you do speak to them, point out they can place a 'stop' on the payable order to ensure it's not paid. And then get them to send you a Bacs or Faster Payments transfer.

Payable orders aren't sent to banks? They should be sent to you, and you pay it in like a cheque. (Payable orders go through the same cheque processing process - the main distinction is that they are drawn/debit the government rather than a bank)
Originally posted by Armorica

They can be sent to banks, e.g. box 11.1 on form R40 allows you to nominate a bank or building society to which the payable order should be sent. Why they don't offers BACS on this form in 2017 is anyone's guess.

I do wonder if the form is confused...

I really doubt a paper payable order would efficiently be paid into a bank account if received by a bank. I do wonder if that bit of the form is actually used to create an electronic payment.

I do wonder if the form is confused...

I really doubt a paper payable order would efficiently be paid into a bank account if received by a bank. I do wonder if that bit of the form is actually used to create an electronic payment.
Originally posted by Armorica

They really do post a payable order to the bank. Mine previously showed as "Cheque Deposit From HMRC" on my statement.

Hi all, I'm not happy either, I filled in my p800 online & received a letter to state a tax rebate was due and issued to my bank, on checking my bank there was no payment from them so I telephoned hmrc who advised me that a cheque was sent to my bank - confused as I thought it was a direct bacs payment - this was issued to my bank apparently on the 22/2/17 and there's nothing on my account to state a cheque has been paid in - I have the worst bank in the world so god only knows what's happened to the cheque - I phoned my bank but call waiting times are over an hour - no clue what to do now, I suppose I just sit wait and pray it arrives in my account - it's a crazy way of paying you had I of known it wasn't a direct payment I would never have requested a cheque to be sent to my bank, I'd have much sooner presented it myself ! Hopeless