FD seem to think that they're a cut above other banks. I've yet to see any evidence as to why.
Originally posted by Shakin Steve

I can't agree more. I opened a First Direct account just over a year ago and the opening process was not fantastic, with some long waits on the phone. First Direct then managed to mess up my standing order for my regular saver both at the beginning (set up 2x£300 standing orders putting me into overdraft) and the end (cancelled the 12th month's standing order). I registered a formal complaint about the final standing order mistake and was not impressed by the response,.

FD seem to think that they're a cut above other banks. I've yet to see any evidence as to why.
Originally posted by Shakin Steve

I think First Direct win their awards solely based on their telephone service. It's easy to get through to them, you don't have to press any buttons to choose the right option, or enter your account details, and they usually answer very quickly. If you only need straightforward banking and you're happy to ring them, you will probably think they're the bees' knees.

Away from the telephone service they are no better than any other bank, and positively antiquated in some respects.
Originally posted by EarthBoy

Yeah agreed. Can't believe how dated their online banking is.
Originally posted by WillPS

I beg to differ though when you say that they're no better than any other bank.

I mean on some aspects I can agree with you that they aren't perfect and there's room for improvement. Although on numerous occasions now I've had certain details to change like my mobile number or wanted to change my telephone password, or I've wanted to close credit and other facilities down and hands down I can be straight through to somebody at First Direct and they've responded straight away, changed the information and I've only been on the phone for less than 3 minutes.

I've done the same with other banks who pass me from pillar to post and eventually after 20 - 30 minutes of being on the phone, they've only half done what I asked for them to do. I've spent the last few years trying to find a bank similar to First Direct and that's been a struggle.

Although I have had my fair share of issues with First Direct too so I'm not completely disagreeing. And I will even add that their internet banking is pretty outdated and this does let it down quite a bit