Of course, it tends to go hand in hand with being in hardship.

I thought I'd correct the last two words.
Originally posted by PeacefulWaters

You also forgot the word in red as well as all the other factors to be taken into consideration when claiming back fees. The OP is claiming financial hardship.

I would think the easiest way to avoid the charges on charges is to ask for an extension to your overdraft if RBS will allow it so that your OD facility covers all of your debt and any pending fees. At least then you are only paying authorised OD payments.

If RBS won't allow this will your other bank? Or could you take out a small loan (not payday) to bring the account back into your OD limit. I appreciate it is accruing more debt, but it is a lower debt and is more serviceable.

As mentioned by someone above I would send a sort of sob story email explaining how the charges have occurred and how it won't happen again and the current financial situation you are currently in and where you see it in the future and is there anything they can do to Ross.McEwan@rbs.com who is the CEO and he has a team that deals with this sort of thing and they do things fairly quickly.

I have 3 children
Originally posted by nurseinwaiting

We are surviving on £130 a week for a family of 5
Originally posted by nurseinwaiting

Unless my maths deceives me this suggests another adult in the household - are they able to access more money in order to get your debt back down to its authorised limit? Even if one of you needs to borrow money from friends or family or whatever (student welfare?), it's really going to be worth your while to do so rather than pinning your hopes on RBS waiving anything - every day of delay will just increase your debt further.

Could you not have withdrawn funds from the other account which receives your income and where funds were presumably available for you to live on for the 3 weeks that you were overdrawn by this 'small amount'? How much was this 'small amount' by the way?

You can't blame this on contactless. You have only yourself to blame.

I find it strange indeed that the fees charged (£90) for the first period are identical to the fees charged for the second period. You say you were in unauthorised overdraft for 3 weeks. So it looks as if this 3 weeks went into two separate charging periods, but that still does not explain why you were charged identical amounts for both periods. Are you sure that this £90 has actually been debited twice? Remember that the fees are debited in arrears so the first fee would not have been debited until some time after the account was allegedly (see below) back in credit and the second set of fees one month after that.

You claim that you put the account back in credit but that really cannot be if you are now £180 over your overdraft limit. Do you actually mean that you reduced the overdraft to the overdraft limit?

In order for you to now be £180 over your overdraft limit you must have returned the balance to -£250 (your overdraft limit) exactly then ignored the situation when the first lot of fees were debited and the balance became -£340 and paid in not a single penny ignoring the situation for another whole month before the second set of fees hit one month later increasing the overdraft to -£430. Be warned that another set of fees will also be debited next month!

Perhaps the best thing for you would be to limit yourself to one bank account (the one which receives your income) when this situation is sorted?

I am actually surprised that RBS continue to offer you an overdraft facility on an account which does not receive your income and that you don't appear to actually be paying any money into each month. I am not at all surprised that they won't refund any fees as a goodwill gesture on an account which is conducted in this manner.
Originally posted by Ben8282

RBS charge £6 per day with a maximum charge of £90 per charging period.