First Direct Regular Saver djpailo

My regular saver matured, so I figured I'd create a new one. I applied online and was later given a message saying they cannot continue with the application until I provide details of my employment or if I am a student, my university.

I am surprised by this because I don't recollect having any issue before, either opening up the current account or opening up the regular saver last year.

Is this a new policy??

I am surprised by this because I don't recollect having any issue before, either opening up the current account or opening up the regular saver last year.

Is this a new policy??
Originally posted by djpailo

Could well be - It could be because of a stampede an increased demand for the current account switching bonus in addition to the linked regular saver .

Honestly, its incredible how frustrating its been. I rang a few days after posting here, gave them my details. Didn't hear back for over a week. Rang again, they've asked for the same details. Fingers crossed this time eh?

It seems most people who work at these banks have no idea about what a PhD is, nor that I am classed as a student, nor that I get paid. As a consequence, it causes a great deal of confusion, when it really is quite simple and fairly common thing...

They also asked me when my course date was going to finish and I had to try and explain, well it "should" finish on XYZ, but its research so...yeah...

It has never been common in my world.
Originally posted by PeacefulWaters

Nor in mine.
Originally posted by EarthBoy

PhD's may not be common in your worlds* but they are actually common phenomena so the point being made (that a bank asking about employment should have a grasp of this type of employment) is a perfectly reasonable one.

(*they aren't in mine these days either but I have worked with loads of current and ex PhD students over many decades, they aren't rare)

PhD's may not be common in your worlds* but they are actually common phenomena so the point being made (that a bank asking about employment should have a grasp of this type of employment) is a perfectly reasonable one.

(*they aren't in mine these days either but I have worked with loads of current and ex PhD students over many decades, they aren't rare)
Originally posted by Zanderman

Whilst a PhD student will be remunerated this has historically not been a salary it always been referred to as a stipend.

There are other arrangements in place, but the fact it wasn't salary meant it wasn't taxed, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.