Amazon Phishing email uknick

I've posted this here as I couldn't see a better place to put it. Mod please move it if necessary.

My mother just received an email saying it was from Amazon and wanting her to verify her account.

I was suspicious as in all the years I've had an Amazon account I've never been asked to do this. It also said if her account was not used for 2 months it would disable the account.

The link went to what looked like an Amazon log in screen. But, the web link was not Amazon UK.

I notified Amazon phishing team and then deleted.

I've posted this here as I couldn't see a better place to put it. Mod please move it if necessary.

My mother just received an email saying it was from Amazon and wanting her to verify her account.

I was suspicious as in all the years I've had an Amazon account I've never been asked to do this. It also said if her account was not used for 2 months it would disable the account.

The link went to what looked like an Amazon log in screen. But, the web link was not Amazon UK.

I notified Amazon phishing team and then deleted.

Originally posted by uknick

Next time hover (easy on a pc, can be tricky on a phone or tablet) over the link to see where it leads before clicking on it! Merely visiting a dodgy website can be, er, dodgy.

Are you just giving us a heads up so we can be aware of it? If so, thanks.

However, phishing emails are nothing new including Amazon. I see a lot using the Amazon brand but telling me my voucher will expire or something.

Next time hover (easy on a pc, can be tricky on a phone or tablet) over the link to see where it leads before clicking on it! Merely visiting a dodgy website can be, er, dodgy.
Originally posted by Zanderman

It was on her iPad, so as you say, viewing link before clicking is difficult.

Are you just giving us a heads up so we can be aware of it? If so, thanks.

However, phishing emails are nothing new including Amazon. I see a lot using the Amazon brand but telling me my voucher will expire or something.
Originally posted by Deru

I must be lucky then, as I've been with Amazon for 14 years and never received any.

I must be lucky then, as I've been with Amazon for 14 years and never received any.
Originally posted by uknick

The point is that they are nothing to do with Amazon and the link is to extract personal information from you.

Another common ploy is to send messages supposedly from your bank. If the message is from 'Barclays' people who don't use them will ignore the message, but the con men rely on gullible people who use Barclays and believe the message is genuine and those who don't who use the link to tell the senders that.