Would you say Direct Debits are considered Debit Transactions? Z4K1R

I need 3 'Debit Transactions' a month to keep my Natwest Overdraft. I have a couple of Direct Debits linked to the account but the question is are these Direct Debits considered Debit transactions or do I have to make a purchase with my debit card for it to count? If Direct debits do count then it could save me some time having to do make 3 card transactions every month and will also allow me to restrict all my spending to my 0% Purchase card. Natwest aren't clear about this in their T&Cs so I was wondering what MSE thought

I believe a debit transaction is one by which you make a purchase using a debit card, so in your case you would have to make 3 debit card transactions per month.

I believe a debit transaction is a transaction that takes money from your account, as opposed to a credit transaction which puts money in.

By this definition, the deduction of your overdraft fee would count as a debit transaction.

There is a difference between a debit transaction, which could include DDs, SOs, cheques, fees and cards, and a debit card transaction, which is card transaction only. What exactly is specified in your terms and conditions?

You'll have to ask your bank for a definitive answer to your question.

I'm certain Natwest will have defined 'Debit transactions' in their terms and conditions, using anything but that definition will lead to disappointment.
Originally posted by pmduk

It is a rather unclear thing to say though. Me with my banking background would interpret it as meaning "any transaction that's a debit", the average person could interpret it as meaning "debit card transactions" and not be at all wrong.

I think it's something NatWest should make a fair bit clearer.

It is a rather unclear thing to say though. Me with my banking background would interpret it as meaning "any transaction that's a debit", the average person could interpret it as meaning "debit card transactions" and not be at all wrong.
Originally posted by JuicyJesus

You're right in that unless it's defined explicitly, it's an opinion. Of course it MAY be defined on their website but the OP seems to have looked.

My opinion is that it's a transaction that's a debit. Ie. any transaction that removes money from your account balance (so not account fees)