HSBC handles all of HSBC, First Direct and M&S. All three are having fantastic (probably the best) switching deals out there, so they are getting hammered with applications.
Originally posted by joujou

Probably not the major reason, the other operations are arms length even if administered by HSBC, so different staff etc

HSBC are just slow, partly because it is their wont, partly because of their issues around procedures and potential money laundering, partly due to having high thresholds and being 'picky' about their customers and for several other reason no doubt.

Opening an account with them took me around six weeks, don't think anywhere else has taken longer than a couple of weeks. Marked contrast with M&S who had it open in less than two weeks.

I completed an online application about two weeks ago, and heard nothing not even a confirmation. So called them this afternoon to be told they have no record of it and I should apply again. However three hours later I get an email apologizing for delay my application is in progress. But no indication of how much longer it will take.

I completed an online application, and two weeks later sent the docs back the day they arrived.

A couple of days later I wandered into branch to see how it was going- an hour later I walked out with online and telephone banking access, and we had been given a credit card each.

If you're getting impatient, I'd try the same. For anyone else reading, don't try to open a HSBC account online, go to the branch!

Hi I applied about 4 weeks ago and only yesterday did I recieve my first letter (an ID request). I also contacted the call centre in between who had no record of my application so don't worry too much.

My next problem is working out what ID they require as they have said we accept the following forms of ID: and then the rest of the page is blank lol!

Ah well I would say I've probably earnt about a grand in total now from bank complaints and switching thanks to MSE and my persistent attitude and escalation when things don't go perfectly.

I am really not happy with HSBC. They just seem to be a complete joke. I applied to switch my joint account to NatWest and my personal account to HSBC on the same day. As of today my NatWest switch is complete, I have all my cards etc They kept me informed of progress through the entire process via email, text and post and overall I am massively impressed.

I haven't received anything from HSBC yet except a slip for me to sign, which I returned straight away. I went into the branch yesterday after receiving a text from HSBC stating that they hadn't received my signature. The manager in the branch told me that the signature was scanned on Jan 27th. Why are they emailing me 4/5 days afterwards, when they have already received and scanned the document, to say they don't have it?

If this is any indication of their customer service then no wonder they have such bad scores. I would mind less if I was being kept informed of what was going on.

I haven't received anything from HSBC yet except a slip for me to sign, which I returned straight away. I went into the branch yesterday after receiving a text from HSBC stating that they hadn't received my signature. The manager in the branch told me that the signature was scanned on Jan 27th. Why are they emailing me 4/5 days afterwards, when they have already received and scanned the document, to say they don't have it?

Originally posted by twistednail

Exactly the same with me. Sent off the letter with my signature on the 8th, not scanned till the 27th!!

My signature was received middle of January, and when I rang a few days ago, they still hadn't opened the account. Massive backlog I was told.

Its a joke that in the welcome PDF its says they guarentee you will receive your debit card and cheque book in a week.

Well if they are going to relentlessly cut back staffing levels while also offering significant incentives to new joiners, what did they expect to happen?

HSBC really have gone downhill, dramatically.