Trouble Opening HSBC Advance gordonridley

Having great trouble with HSBC opening this account to get the free cash - every other bank seems to do everything in seconds online but HSBC are in the dark ages - they want manually signed forms which they keep loosing - you can't switch online have to go into branch or try and phone but can never get through - cant register for online banking without a telephone security number which you can only get by filling in another form which again they say has not been received - ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE

Having great trouble with HSBC opening this account to get the free cash - every other bank seems to do everything in seconds online but HSBC are in the dark ages - they want manually signed forms which they keep loosing - you can't switch online have to go into branch or try and phone but can never get through - cant register for online banking without a telephone security number which you can only get by filling in another form which again they say has not been received - ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE
Originally posted by gordonridley

You are not alone. There are many threads about this eg

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5611495

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5591268

Maybe HSBC are more stringently checking applications to annoy any new customers who want to get the free money and then immediately leave. It's a way of testing your patience!

Maybe HSBC is thinking, if anyone wanting to open a Advance account is doing it because they want the account, and the extra free cash is a bonus, they would likely wait as this is the type of customer they want.

I'm not convinced it is a resources issues with a lack of people dealing with new account requests (they have an abundance of staff).

I was initially rejected for the account ( but offered a basic bank account).

Last month I made an appt in branch and went armed with anything they could possibly ask for. I also said I didn't need an overdraft on the account. They referred it to the underwriters and I did get the Advance account

So £150 soon and another £50 in a year, and also £25 as I did the account opening as a mystery shop.