So I can use a basic bank account to switch?

Really I'm wondering how I can get these switching benefits if/when unemployed, as the work here seems sporadic/seasonal with the employment agencies here.

So an account application for which I don't need to supply my employers address etc would be handy

You may well qualify for a standard account (without overdraft). Apply for one and they'll generally offer the basic version as a fallback.

DONT go for the Fidor or Post Office account other than a last resort. Fidor charges for ATM withdrawals after the 3rd and the Post Office account can only be used in Post Office ATMs & for benefits.
Originally posted by Heng Leng

The Fidor UK debit card charges just £1 per withdrawal which is pretty cheap as no credit check prepaid accounts go: For example, just 1p more than Pockit. And it's green.

https://www.fidorbank.uk/personal-banking/smart-account

@ remembe: You started by asking which bank accounts are easiest to open for the unemployed and now that's progressed to going for switching benefits! I'm sorry I wasted my time in this thread! Bye-bye.

Why do you want a new one then?
Originally posted by grumbler

Personally I'd say it's always better to have options. Once when I was in a far flung land one of my cards didn't work in the atm, but the other one did - for some reason.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket and all.............

Including donors, I've opened about 15 accounts over the past few weeks and I'm between jobs right now (which is why I have time to play this game). Not had a problem with any of them despite declaring myself as 'unemployed' when applying - except for HSBC, and that will be an extremely interesting conversation when I go into the branch tomorrow.

What may help is if you have any fixed savings due to mature this year etc, I'd take the view that it counts as income, and certainly strengthens the case that you can meet any funding requirements.

Including donors, I've opened about 15 accounts over the past few weeks and I'm between jobs right now (which is why I have time to play this game). Not had a problem with any of them despite declaring myself as 'unemployed' when applying - except for HSBC, and that will be an extremely interesting conversation when I go into the branch tomorrow.
Originally posted by ratechaser

That doesn't surprise me. There's no need for most customers to faff around with a third-rate account from Fidor.

I've heard that HSBC likes commitment. They may not want your custom because you have (many) accounts elsewhere.

I've heard that HSBC likes commitment. They may not want your custom because you have (many) accounts elsewhere.
Originally posted by SnowTiger

They let me have a 2nd Advance account even though I never kept a penny in the 1st one overnight and have some 20-odd current accounts elsewhere. The 2nd Advance is just a donor account that I will use as and when I have a profitable opportunity.

The Fidor UK debit card charges just £1 per withdrawal which is pretty cheap as no credit check prepaid accounts go:
Originally posted by Anthorn

It might be cheap, but it's still £1 more than withdrawals from a basic bank account, which are free.

Originally posted by SnowTiger

Erm... they seemed to like me last summer even when I said categorically that I wasn't switching my main current a/c and I was looking to see what goodies they had for me!..... no problems at all.... and I took all the goodies on offer. (Well it would have been churlish to refuse, wouldn't it?)

It might be cheap, but it's still £1 more than withdrawals from a basic bank account, which are free.
Originally posted by EarthBoy

... for people who can get a basic bank account eh?

There are still lots of people who depend on prepaid card(s) for their banking needs. If that was not true services like Cashplus would have been out of business long ago.

As I said, as prepaid goes £1 is cheap but not as cheap as the pockit card at 99p.

The other difference is that Fidor UK is a regulated bank whereas I know of only one other prepaid service which is also a regulated bank, Secure Trust Bank. All of the others use 3rd party banks.