Nationwide's FlexBasic is often mentioned here, but it says:

You don't have a UK bank account elsewhere, or

- you have a UK bank account elsewhere and you want to switch it to us, or

- you have a UK bank account with us or another UK-based provider but need a FlexBasic account because you're in financial difficulty.

What's wrong with the account you supposedly have?

Depends on your requirements.

If all you want is a debit card the Fidor UK Smart Current Account is a prepaid account with a debit card. It has an ID check with secure upload of documents but no income requirement.

You may be successful in getting a basic bank account such as the TSB Cash Account or the Santander Basic Current Account.

Lastly you qualify for a Post Office Card Account. Ask for an application form at the Jobcentre.


If I switch accounts, then I have a new main account, can I keep the old nationwide account?

I just transfer some direct debits?

maybe I should just do that then

it seemed like a good idea to get a new account to switch with

although that may have to wait until I'm employed, I'd rather get on with it now

also I have an offer for 100quid each if someone would like to switch to nationwide

You may well qualify for a standard account (without overdraft). Apply for one and they'll generally offer the basic version as a fallback.

DONT go for the Fidor or Post Office account other than a last resort. Fidor charges for ATM withdrawals after the 3rd and the Post Office account can only be used in Post Office ATMs & for benefits.

I think you'll have more luck with getting a good switch deal once you're employed. Many have set limits on how much money needs to be going in every month to qualify.

You need a basic bank account. New rules state that if you go overdrawn in a basic bank account, you will not get any fees charged by the bank. HSBC have changed there terms and conditions regarding the basic bank account from April 16.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests