The cards will link and recurring debits will still be taken. It would get rejected if used for a normal purchase though. I had a card cancelled and a regular monthly payment did not fail until a year after the card was replaced.

I guess there's no point telling the car insurance company my new debit card details, since payment can still be taken from the old debit card details?

Well it would be interesting to see how long it can go on for - would they be able to take it next year and the year after and the year after and so on!

on a different subject you will often find that if you ring them up and get a new quote rather than letting it auto renew you will pay a lot less - they tend to inflate renewal prices for people who are auto renew

We had our credit cards with virgin replaced after the wife lost hers. The direct debit from Barclays still shows the old card number, but the payment goes through fine.

We had our credit cards with virgin replaced after the wife lost hers. The direct debit from Barclays still shows the old card number, but the payment goes through fine.
Originally posted by Shakin Steve

This is an absolutely separate Virgin's internal matter, nothing to do with Visa and card payments.

When you give the CPA the details are automatically updated.

The only exception to this I have come across is O2 who, when the card expiry date is reached, simply delete the details from their system, don't contact you to advise you and then deny the CPA ever existed when you realise what has happened after you get the outstanding payment letter from O2.