Is there something in the T&Cs that say you must use the debit card?

Or make a minimum number of transactions?
Originally posted by soulsaver

I've certainly not read anything anywhere that says you MUST use your debit card.
Originally posted by DonnySaver

No but equally they need not offer you an account and indeed say they'll review your account from time to time to make sure they continue to want to offer you the facilities.

I've kept £3000 in each for a couple of years - I occasionally pass money through the accounts but have never used the debit cards.
Originally posted by xylophone

Same here with the exception that I swap money sround every month because it was originally a condition at account open a few years back, and I never got around to changing it .

I doubt it - can't see why they would. I've opened 2 of these accounts and intend to just leave £3000 sat in both.

I did get an email from Tesco the other day though, asking me if everything was ok as they'd noticed I'd not used my new debit card
Originally posted by DonnySaver

I got that email, the debit card has only just arrived the same morning. Its a marketing email, I just unsubscribed from the mailing list via the link in the email. No more emails encouraging me to use the account

I haven't even registered my debit card. All I do is take out the interest every month, account open for 5 months and havent' really heard a peep out of Tesco - well at least not yet...

I haven't even registered my debit card. All I do is take out the interest every month, account open for 5 months and havent' really heard a peep out of Tesco - well at least not yet...
Originally posted by northwalesd

I tried to put money in before validating my card and it bounced straight back. Got a text ten minutes later saying Tesco had returned the payment as the account could not be used until the card was validated.

I tried to put money in before validating my card and it bounced straight back. Got a text ten minutes later saying Tesco had returned the payment as the account could not be used until the card was validated.
Originally posted by Shakin Steve

I put money in mine before I got the debit card. Things may have changed in the intervening months.

I have two current accounts both now over a year old and maintain exactly £3000 in each. Never activated either card. Only transactions are online, monthly transfer out of interest into Tesco Internet Saver. Never had so much as a squeak from Tesco so they seem quite happy with this arrangement.

I put money in mine before I got the debit card. Things may have changed in the intervening months.
Originally posted by northwalesd

I can confirm it does seem to have changed. I got a letter this morning, saying my account was now open, with number and sort code. Did my usual £1 test payment. Little while later Tesco sent me a text stating:

"A payment to your account has been returned. You need to activate your debit card by logging in to your Online Banking, Mobile App or call us."

Got the same email. I thought it was a way to advertise the increased club card points. But may alternate my two tesco cards for spending in tesco in case they want an excuse to close some accounts.

Yes,they have changed things now and you now need to activate your debit card before you can use one of the new accounts

I have not activated the card for my 1 st account which I have hd for over a year but had to activate the card for my new one last week..