I suspect someone bought themselves £20 worth of "free" shopping with it. Not necessarily in Sainsbury's either.

i.e. the next person to use that machine helped themselves (stole it).

My understanding is that if the notes(s) are left in the dispenser they are sucked back in after a short while - not sure how long but I'd guess about a minute. The machine then has an unbalanced account. You can claim the money back from your bank if you specify the machine, the amount and the date. If the machine belongs to a different bank the process takes a little longer.

My understanding is that if the notes(s) are left in the dispenser they are sucked back in after a short while - not sure how long but I'd guess about a minute. The machine then has an unbalanced account. You can claim the money back from your bank if you specify the machine, the amount and the date. If the machine belongs to a different bank the process takes a little longer.
Originally posted by GingerBob

If I remember correctly, they beep like a demented budgie while the cash is there, someone would surely have noticed.

Hooray! I'm getting my 20 quid back.

ATM REFUND UPDATE: Our investigations are now complete and your money will be back in your account by 23:59 today.
Originally posted by shortcrust

Bearing the amount involved they may have decided to just refund rather than waste time on an investigation.