Your bank's Ts&Cs may explicitly refer to postdating of cheques.

e.g

Nationwide

"Cheques must only be written in sterling and should not be post dated."

First Direct

"You shouldnÂ’t write a future date on a cheque as the person youÂ’re giving it to may pay it into their account before that date."

Metro

"You should not future date cheques because this does not prevent the funds being taken from your account earlier if the payee pays in the cheque before that date."

We are encouraged in the bank to check the DATE, WORDS/FIGURES and SIGNATURE,

that said if its paid in using a paying in machine or envelope system is may have been overlooked or the cashier didn't spot the date.

Cashier should be on heightened awareness at the moment due to cheques saying 2016, and expired cheques so it works both ways.

If the date on a cheque has no relation to when it should be presented then those who issue cheque books should consider:-

1) Removing the date field as it has no actionable meaning given the treatment of it.

2) Inventing/adopting an acceptable, post dated, payment system.

J_B.

If the date on a cheque has no relation to when it should be presented then those who issue cheque books should consider:-

1) Removing the date field as it has no actionable meaning given the treatment of it.

J_B.
Originally posted by Joe_Bloggs

The date field is actually needed however. It is actually used. Probably not examined for smaller cheques, but for larger ones you'd better believe it is.

There is an excellent post-dated payment system that ensures that someone definitely doesn't get paid until the payer wants them to be; it's called future dated Faster Payments. This is yet another problem that would be solved by simply getting rid of cheques.

There is an excellent post-dated payment system that ensures that someone definitely doesn't get paid until the payer wants them to be; it's called future dated Faster Payments. This is yet another problem that would be solved by simply getting rid of cheques.
Originally posted by JuicyJesus

Except that if I make a future-dated Faster Payment, I am not giving my payee any assurance of getting paid.

J_B.
Originally posted by Joe_Bloggs

Cheques can be refused if presented for payment 6 months after the date written on them.

Except that if I make a future-dated Faster Payment, I am not giving my payee any assurance of getting paid.
Originally posted by Voyager2002

Nor are you with a cheque. It might be rejected for a few reasons - signature, words & figures, wrong payer name, no funds, stopped account, suspicion of fraud or money-laundering etc.

Originally posted by Voyager2002

If your payee doesn't trust your word, s/he is not likely to trust your cheque until actually paid.