PayPal - why? SnowTiger

I've just made a purchase using PayPal for a friend. It was the only payment method offered.

I took this screen shot just before I hit the Pay Now button:

Do you think it's unreasonable to assume payment would come from Visa card ending 8072?

Well, I didn't.

Apparently I was wrong.

PayPal, in its wisdom, decided to take payment from another bank account I have associated with my account. Why? I have no idea. The card I wanted it to come from has a balance of £0, and a limit that more than covers the amount.

They also appear to have sneakily done their own currency conversion from Philippines Peso to GBP, despite me specifically asking them not to and the confirmation screen failing to mention they would.

I've raised a dispute, however I couldn't find an option that covered this. Unfortunately PayPal is disputing the payment with the organisation I paid, which will probably lead to no end of problems.

sorry, can't help on this but as an aside,, can you please tell me how to obtain 'screen shots'.? Very useful. Thanks
Originally posted by castle96

If you use windows 7 or above just use the Snipping Tool. If still using XP you can use 3rd Party software such as Capture Screenshot Lite

Paypal will default to a registered bank current account first.

After that credit cards are listed.

You should have selected the right account to be debited.

I've made the same mistake previously. Just tough. Onus is on the account holder to check the details before clicking.

They also appear to have sneakily done their own currency conversion from Philippines Peso to GBP, despite me specifically asking them not to and the confirmation screen failing to mention they would.

Unless you have a currency account. Then you'll suffer an exchange conversion cost. Unavoidable.

If still using XP you can use 3rd Party software such as Capture Screenshot Lite
Originally posted by zolablue25

Or the Print Screen key (sometimes needs to be in conjunction with [ctrl] or[alt]), then open Paint and paste into it.

My PayPal account used to asked what funding source i wished to use with each transaction.

I then just deleted the PayPal direct debit mandate on my current account and it just uses my registered card directly and my current account can only be used for credits.

I have also been debited in US Dollars recently & I simply picked the US Dollar value during the transaction rather than their GB Pound value.

PayPal is a dreadful system. I've frequently found myself abandoning a transaction because it won't allow me to select a credit card. I wouldn't mind so much if it offered some sort of explanation, but the credit cards are just greyed out and not selectable.

Yeah I don't like the way PayPal works these days much either. It has no setting any more, as far as I can tell, to select a default payment system, so I have to select my credit card manually for each transaction. It also often copies the address incorrectly during redirection from the seller's website.

You should be able to select whether you want the purchase to be in local currency or GBP though (obviously you want the latter for zero-loading, zero-fee cards).

Hmm...it DOES have a setting to select a default payment. If you have money in PayPal - let's say you loaded your PayPal Account from a Card or your nominated Bank Account, it will always use that money first. If you have a Card listed on your Account, it will then default to the next Card you listed.

If you have another Card listed, it will then go to that Card. So, for example, my default 'go to Card' (when I have no money in my PP Account is my Debit Card) so it always will use that when my PP Account is zero. My Backup Card is my Virgin CC - if PP can't get money from my Debit Card, it will use my Virgin CC.

You can always set the useage of Cards in the My Wallet section at PayPal.

I've used Paypal since it began and have found it incredibly useful and safe.