You have to enter the PIN code every so often, even if you pay contactless all the time. This is a security measure. I'm not sure how the banks quantify "every so often" or whether its different for each bank and each customer etc.

No PIN-malarky if you use Apple Pay
Originally posted by colsten

But then I've now tried Apple Pay twice on two separate occasions in my local Tescos and despite beeping and displaying 'done' it didn't work. My card worked first time both times.

I really wish that it was possible to talk to a real person instead of getting automated responses.
Originally posted by katejo

I phoned the TSB contact number (as posted on their website) last night and I spoke to a very pleasant real person. I had to through the automated service first but when it asked what my issue was I don't think the system recognised it and it put me straight through to a real live human being.

OK hadn't thought of that. I used it last night with the PIN to withdraw a small amount of cash as a test but not to pay for anything. I mainly use this account for savings so don't do transactions most of the time. Like yourself, I just want the contactless points and the 5% interest.

It asked for a PIN so I thought that there was a fault with contactless and I switched to use a different debit card. I didn't want to use the TSB if I wasn't going to get the points/cashback. However I now realise that I will have to try again and enter my PIN. Will try it on the way home today.

It asked for a PIN so I thought that there was a fault with contactless and I switched to use a different debit card. I didn't want to use the TSB if I wasn't going to get the points/cashback. However I now realise that I will have to try again and enter my PIN. Will try it on the way home today.
Originally posted by katejo

I'm just happy that I'm not the only one to get the wrong end of the stick when it happened to me.

Even though TSB don't use card readers they are card reader enabled for some strange reason. So I put my card in my Nationwide card reader, use any function that requires the pin, and up to now it has worked each time without fail.

No idea if this is just a fluke but it works for me!

But then I've now tried Apple Pay twice on two separate occasions in my local Tescos and despite beeping and displaying 'done' it didn't work. My card worked first time both times.
Originally posted by Ballard

I tried Apple Pay in my local Tesco (Metro) on Monday and despite it working aOK in the past two different cards refused to work.

Probably a faulty terminal; when I used it another time the card reader asked me to insert my card/enter a PIN.