Maybe banks should offer the service and charge £20.

There that will put an end to the issue....

Also lets say it was ID for a mortgage application, you not think that is barefaced cheek if you were not taking the said mortgage out with that bank?

Thanks for the responses. So it seems there is no norm and depends largely on the staff. From this thread it is clear many do not understand the request just as the girl from Halifax.
Originally posted by pavane

Halifax understood the request, they just won't do it.

I understand fully what is being asked.

You aren't asking the bank staff to countersign on a personal basis but in their professional capacity. If the document is used in anything untoward then that will involve the individual and their employer (the bank).

Just as people no longer have (misplaced) loyalty to their bank, no longer do banks reward loyalty to their customers.

Thanks for the responses. So it seems there is no norm and depends largely on the staff. From this thread it is clear many do not understand the request just as the girl from Halifax.

not raising the point that about 2 years ago when a large online card payment was blocked as a precaution the identification questions they asked me over the phone included information from these documents, despite them not mentioning to me at the time they were keeping copies for themselves. So much for privacy I thought, surely just cost saving.

Just as well you didn't make that point, because you'd have made yourself look like a bit of a fool if you had.

I'm actually surprised that any bank would certify documents for free. You are asking them to carry out a service for you so if the bank don't want to provide that service then that is fair enough.

I understand fully what is being asked.

You aren't asking the bank staff to countersign on a personal basis but in their professional capacity. If the document is used in anything untoward then that will involve the individual and their employer (the bank).

Just as people no longer have (misplaced) loyalty to their bank, no longer do banks reward loyalty to their customers.
Originally posted by Heng Leng

No, your understanding is not correct. That is not how it works.

Your argument suggests a Post Office staff has the means (knowledge and tools) to verify the genuineness of a passport, etc. Even if they had this training (they don't) they do not have such authority. A claim by a Post Office staff that a passport, etc. is genuine is neither binding nor would it be taken very seriously. But they don't do this anyway because that isn't what document certification is.

Please educate yourself and stop misinforming others. Here are links from gov.uk and Post Office's own site:

https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/document-certification-service

The service offered is to "certify that the copies presented/produced are a true likeness of the original document/s".

Where did I mention the Post Office?

No, your understanding is not correct. That is not how it works.

Your argument suggests a Post Office staff has the means (knowledge and tools) to verify the genuineness of a passport, etc. Even if they had this training (they don't) they do not have such authority. A claim by a Post Office staff that a passport, etc. is genuine is neither binding nor would it be taken very seriously. But they don't do this anyway because that isn't what document certification is.

Please educate yourself and stop misinforming others. Here are links from gov.uk and Post Office's own site:

https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/document-certification-service

The service offered is to "certify that the copies presented/produced are a true likeness of the original document/s".
Originally posted by hoc

Little things like this turned me off Lloyds. I still bank with them, but other than my salary which I quickly transfer over, they lost my business 2 years ago after 15 years. I requested a simple confirmation letter from them they refused and on top of that they charged me 9.95 for 'reviewing the request' despite not doing anything. I went into the branch for document certification and they said no. Meanwhile the branch manager sends me a letter every year saying he would like to meet 'to discuss my needs, etc. etc.'- closing my Private banking account clearly stung.

Barclays is equally large but much more flexible and understanding with such requests. I had my passport certified last year without any issues. I did not even have to show my bank card, the staff did not know me, there was no problem.

So Lloyds in general is not very good with this type of service.

Having said that I agree most have not understood the request or know what they're talking about. The staff certifying the copy of my passport admitted it was his first time seeing a Canadian passport, just as a Post Office or any other suggested profession likely would have been.

Little things like this turned me off Lloyds. I still bank with them, but other than my salary which I quickly transfer over, they lost my business 2 years ago after 15 years. I requested a simple confirmation letter from them they refused and on top of that they charged me 9.95 for 'reviewing the request' despite not doing anything. I went into the branch for document certification and they said no. Meanwhile the branch manager sends me a letter every year saying he would like to meet 'to discuss my needs, etc. etc.'- closing my Private banking account clearly stung.

Barclays is equally large but much more flexible and understanding with such requests. I had my passport certified last year without any issues. I did not even have to show my bank card, the staff did not know me, there was no problem.

So Lloyds in general is not very good with this type of service.

Having said that I agree most have not understood the request or know what they're talking about. The staff certifying the copy of my passport admitted it was his first time seeing a Canadian passport, just as a Post Office or any other suggested profession likely would have been.
Originally posted by newlease

No in reality what you are saying is because the bank would not do what you want them to do, as it is not their policy, you spat your dummy out and went elsewhere.

Call me old fashioned but I choose my bank based on..

1)Service

2)Value

3)Products that suit my needs.

Could not care less if they won't certify a copy.

Blimey if I was that desperate I would send originals via recorded delivery.