Thank you for the feedback, OP and others who have used the Nationwide insurance. I have been very lucky so far and not needed to call on the insurance yet. Great to hear of the positive experiences.

Glad to hear I've had a FlexPlus account the last 2-3 years. Have used the mobile cover twice, prompt replacements delivered a few days after sending them.

We are off abroad for our honeymoon in April. I did wonder about our travel cover, so nice to hear its worth it!

I've had cause to use both the travel insurance (for a very small claim) and the breakdown cover. The service provided by both was very good. For our joint account, the mobile cover alone makes it worthwhile.

I will just add. My Dads washing broke down last week, and he was full of praises.

My Partner pays for the Halifax packaged account and she is going to swap to the Nationwide.

I'm going to read the full terms and conditions but think I'm possibly going to do the same, as there doesn't seem to be a better deal at the minute from the little research I've done so far.

So, worldwide travel, car breakdown and phone insurance, all for £120 a year or £42 if you can spare the cash to leave in the account. It's a brilliant deal, I don't know how they do it. I can't recommend this account highly enough.
Originally posted by Marvo5

I have a Nationwide FlexPlus and would agree that it is good value at £120 p/a but always remember that it is £120 p/a. I often see that posters reduce the effective cost by the amount of interest earned but that is only relevant if you couldn't earn the same amount of interest elsewhere.

I have the account and fortunately haven't needed the travel cover. I have however used the breakdown service in the UK and France. Both times were excellent with a very efficient service so I'm very happy with the account too.

I have a Nationwide FlexPlus and would agree that it is good value at £120 p/a but always remember that it is £120 p/a. I often see that posters reduce the effective cost by the amount of interest earned but that is only relevant if you couldn't earn the same amount of interest elsewhere.
Originally posted by TheShape

I agree and if you can point me in the direction of an account where I can earn more than 3% I'd be very grateful.

As a matter of interest I also have just opened the alternative Nationwide account where you earn 5% (only for a year) so by my way of looking at things I'm not actually paying anything for the insurance package.

I agree and if you can point me in the direction of an account where I can earn more than 3% I'd be very grateful.

You've already found the FlexDirect and Flexclusive regular saver. Also at 5% are the HSBC, First Direct and M&S regular/monthly savers. BOS, Tesco (if and when available again), TSB, Club Lloyd's monthly saver will match the 3% along with a handful of Building Society regular saving accounts.

Some useful links (one MSE article and a the regular saver forum thread)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=608697

As a matter of interest I also have just opened the alternative Nationwide account where you earn 5% (only for a year) so by my way of looking at things I'm not actually paying anything for the insurance package.

You won't be surprised that it's not my way of looking at things. If you haven't got the funds available to keep all the Nationwide accounts full, prioritise keeping the 5% accounts as full as possible.

Without wishing to sound like a know it all, which I certainly am not, I have been taking a particular interest in different ways of earning extra money since I retired last May with a useful lump sump and have found this site very useful indeed. I may not post much but I am taking notice.

I have

In HBOS one account (3% on 5,000)

In Santander three accounts (1.5% on £20,000) plus two linked regular savers at 5%

In Tesco 3 accounts (missed out on the 4th) (3% on £3,000)

1n TSB one account (3% on £1,500) plus an esaver (an unimpressive 0.85%) and an Isa (1.8%)

In Virgin one isa at 2.5%

In Nationwide two accounts (3% on £2,500 & 5% on £3,000) plus a linked regular saver at 5%

In Norwich & Peterboro one account for the purposes of taking cash free sums from ATM's whilst abroad plus a regular saver at 4%

and finally (hooray) in First Direct one account with a regular saver at 5%.

That's pretty much all my money tied up. My next move I'm mulling over is, when the new isa allowance kicks in, should I close one of the Santander accounts at 1.5% (less £5 fee) and move the money to the TSB isa at 1.8%?

What do you think Mr Shape? All advise much appreciated.

Note: I hope Mr ceredigion doesn't think I'm advertising all these accounts.